1919 - Club is Founded

The Cardiff Central Boys Club was Founded by the late Alderman Sir James Robinson and other respected members of Cardiff in a large disused room over a shop on St. Mary Street with it’s entrance in the Wyndham Arcade.  Membership flourished to such an extent that new premises were found above an old printing works at 55, Penarth Road.  Part of these premises was used to provide temporary hostel accommodation for needy and destitute boys.


The late Marquess of Bute provided the club a site adjacent to the Empire Pool (was opposite the Central Railway Station) but found it impossible to develop.


Site was purchased on the corner of Bute Terrace (opposite the new St. Davids 2) and the late Duke of Kent laid the foundation stone.

1939 - 1941

The War intervened and the building was requisitioned by the Ministry of Food. The club had to move from 55, Penarth Road after the first air raid on Cardiff in January 1941 blitzed the premises.  The Club continued in a basement below No. 10 Park Place.


The Club commenced to function again in the new Premises on Bute Terrace.


The Club was taken over by the Education Department and became the Cardiff Central Youth Club.  Girls were amitted within the Club for the first time.


Mr Trevor Underwood became the first warden of the Club.


Due to Local Government reorganisation the Club became part of the South Glamorgan county council’s Youth Service.


Mrs Linda Owens became the first women to lead the Club.


In Febuary the Club on Bute Terrace was demolished and the staff and membership temporally moved down to Channel View Lesuire Centre in Grangetown.


In June the new Premises in Ocean Park was officially opened by His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent, K.G. This current premises now boasts a superbly-equipped, state-of -the-art gymnastics training hall, impressive gym and multipurpose room.


In December the club has been leased to part of the comittee and a charity has been set up to run the club.  This insures the future of this great club.